•September 17, 2011 • Leave a Comment

I squandered the summer because it was too hot to do anything. Actually it was too hot to use epoxy because it sets up way too fast. The last thing I did was fill the ends of the boat with epoxy for strengthening. It worked ok but it was to runny and then it set up fast and started smoking. I think I got gassed also because I felt poorly afterwords. I spend a lot of time sanding the inside after pulling it off the strongback. I finally gave up and started working on the ends. I did grind the epoxy smooth at the ends so I can make it look a little better and I have to finish sanding the epoxy inside so I can put another coat on before the fiberglass. I got a less viscous epoxy and a lot slower hardener for painting so I hope it works the way I want.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Epoxy and Fiberglass

•June 21, 2011 • Leave a Comment

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Next more sanding.

Sanding and Shaping

•June 5, 2011 • Leave a Comment

First I sanded a little here then a little there. Then I sanded some more until I thought I was done. Then I remembered to do the other side so I sanded it then sanded it some more. Soon I was almost done sanding until I remembered I needed to fill in the screw holes. I bought a plug cutter which is basically a bit that cuts short pieces of dowel to fill holes. It works pretty good except it’s gone dull already. I’ve sanded the whole boat with 36 grit paper to get the high spots knocked down. I have a belt sander but I figured it would grind a hole right through the hull so I just use a belt on a block of wood. It’s not to time consuming but I bet I have 10 hours of rough sanding in. Next I broke out the palm sander with 80 grit paper to take out all the gouges the 36 grit left. I ran a damp cloth over the hull to pull up the grain and show the places I missed. Once I get the holes all filled in I can get a good final sanding done. All the cloth and epoxy are here. I got RAKA brand and it was  whole lot cheaper than the West System, about half price. I’ll be using it when I do the initial epoxy coat before the fiberglassing. I’ve got my cedar flour all saved up.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

In an effort to use up the scraps of cedar I thought I would try making some wood fenders for the commuting bike. It’s trial and error so far with the bending but I built a steamer out of a turkey frier and a piece of aluminum box tubing that was left over from the broken boom on our sail boat. It worked pretty well steaming but my plan was to wrap the strip around the circumference of the 29er tire and wheel. The problem is the radius isn’t tight enough so I tried it again with a 26″ wheel with no tire. I’ll let it sit for a while before I remove it. The idea is to not laminate it, just cover it in some fiberglass and epoxy. This way I get to practice with the glassing and maybe have a useful and attractive fender.  Wheel see…

 

All Done…

•May 8, 2011 • Leave a Comment

with the stripping. I put the last stubborn piece in today. I had to redo it three times but I finally got it. I’ve also pulled almost all the staples and screws out except for a crucial few that are still holding things together while the glue dries. I also cleaned up the garage a little as it was getting out of control. Next comes a lot of sanding then the glassing. I’m not overly excited about fiber-glassing due to the toxicity and the itchiness but I will endeavor to persevere.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Glue

•May 8, 2011 • Leave a Comment

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Gluing Four

•April 10, 2011 • Leave a Comment

Gluing strips continues. All the panic from the last post has been dealt with and is now routine. I’m gluing 2 strips at a time so it will take a lot longer but it should work out better. It’s tricky going around the tight bends. If I don’t account for the next set of strips when I place the current strips then the angle might not be correct resulting in a poor fit for the new strips. I’ve been toying with the idea of painting the inside. I’m not sure why.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Gluing III

•March 25, 2011 • Leave a Comment

It’s moving along but it’s getting more frustrating. I had issues with an older section pulling away from the station so I had to resort to putting screws in. As the bend gets tighter the gaps seem bigger. Both ends are going to have to be fixed at some point. I may have to pull the end stations off, trim the ends, glue them together and then put the stations back in. Oh well. I’m sure it will float.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.